Blackened Cod With Plantain Chips and Pineapple Avocado Salad
Some of the best meals I’ve made have been the simplest. And while I do love to cook and putter about working through complex, 42 step meals in the #Healthilinguist Kitchen— weeknights, and especially Fridays are about convenience. I started a FastFood Friday competition with myself to see what restaurant/fast food quality dishes I could make, that I could serve up in under the same 45 minutes window it would take to order (in/out)… Voila! A recipe for blackened cod with plantain chips and pineapple avocado salad!
Real. Fast. Food. And it’s GOOD.
Paleo Blackened Cod
• 2 pounds wild Alaskan Cod, cut into pieces
• 3 tablespoons coconut oil
• Pinch sea salt
• 3 tablespoons smoked paprika
• 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon ground thyme
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon of sea salt
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1) Combine all seasonings together and lay out on a plate. Add the codpieces and press to coat both sides.
2) Heat coconut oil in a heavy skillet over medium temperature. Add the codpieces (in batches) and cook for 5-6 minutes per side (less if the codpieces are thin) until each side is dark. Remove fish and serve.
Pineapple Avocado Salsa
• 1/2 pineapple, peeled, cored, cubed
• 1 avocado, cubed
• 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1 small red onion, diced
• 2 small tomatoes, diced
• 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
• 1/2 large bunch of cilantro, washed & chopped
• 2 limes, juiced
• 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
• 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger
• Pinch of coarse sea salt to taste
Toss together pineapple, tomato, onion, garlic, jalapeno peppers, cilantro, crushed cumin, coriander seeds, ginger, lime and salt in a large bowl. Chill and add the avocado before serving, tossing to combine.
• 2 green plantains
• 1/2 – 1 cup coconut oil
• Pinch sea salt
• Pinch garlic powder (optional)
• Pinch smoked paprika (optional)
• Pinch cayenne (optional)
1) Carefully peel/cut off the skin off the plantains. Using a mandolin, slice plantain thinly.
2) Heat 1/2 cup (or more) coconut oil in a large pot or deep fryer. When the oil is hot carefully drop in several slices of the plantain.
3) Deep fry on each side about 2-3 minutes and remove plantain chips from the oil with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels and season. Repeat until all slices are fried.