Paleo Cornbread Stuffing
Who doesn’t like stuffing at Thanksgiving? To me, if there isn’t stuff, it isn’t Thanksgiving. I love a good old-fashioned cornbread stuffing. Well I used to anyway— it didn’t really love me back. With Thanksgiving right around the corner, I got to work in the lab and came up with this delicious stuffing. My friends came over to help me vet it and they loved it as well – in fact, they ate the entire pan. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Paleo Cornbread Stuffing Ingredients:
• 6 eggs
• 1/2 cup butter, melted
• 3/4 C coconut milk
• 1 Tbsp ground sage
• 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp poultry seasoning
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 3/4 cup organic coconut flour, sifted
• 1 tsp baking soda
• ½ tsp cream of tartar
• ½ C arrowroot
• 2 Tbsp bacon fat
• 2 stalks celery, chopped
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 bell pepper, chopped
• 3 Tbsp organic chicken base
• ¾ C water
1) Preheat oven to 350
2) In a large bowl, whisk eggs, butter and coconut milk
3) Add sage, one tablespoon of the poultry seasoning, salt, baking soda, cream of tartar, coconut flour and arrowroot and mix until smooth.
4) Pour batter into a buttered shallow baking dish and bake for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, heat medium skillet and add bacon fat.
5) When fat is melted, add celery, onion and bell pepper; saute until vegetables are tender and onions are transparent – about 10 minutes.
6) When “bread” is fully cooked, remove from oven, let cool then crumble into a large bowl.
7) Add sautéed vegetables, chicken base, the remaining poultry seasoning and water. Taste, and add salt, pepper to taste.
8) Fold to combine taking care not to break the bread chunks down too much
9) Pour mixture into buttered 9×11 baking dish and place in the oven
10) Bake for 30 minutes or until dressing firms up.