Simple Super Bowl Paleo Chili
Whether you’re a die-hard football fan rooting for your team, begrudging your team’s absence from the game, or like me, just there for the tradition of Super Bowl Sunday, you’re probably going to indulge in great food. Betcha chili with lots of carne is on your big Game Day menu, too. It’s on mine.
It’s easy, it’s a crowd pleaser, and it’s tradition.
And while the controversy over ingredients, particularly beans, wages on, there is nothing inauthentic about a beanless chili. And in my humble opinion, once you’ve have a good Paleo chili, there’s no denying it is even better without them. And here’s the great thing about chili: you can throw all the ingredients in a crockpot and 4-6 hours later, voila… Grub!
Simple Super Bowl Paleo Chili with Lime & Avocado
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
3 pounds grass-fed ground beef/venison
1 onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 large red pepper, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1-2 jalapenos pepper, minced finely (or to taste)
2 cups BPA, additive & citric acid free crushed or diced tomatoes *up to 1 cup more if needed
1 cup beef broth/stock
Juice of 2 limes
2 tablespoons cumin seed, crushed
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon coriander seed, crushed
1 tablespoon ground turmeric
Pinch of coarse sea salt
3 tablespoons coconut oil
2 avocados, pitted, peeled and cubed
Shredded raw milk cheddar (optional)
Lime wedges for garnish
1. Heat coconut oil large saucepan/pot over medium-low heat
2. Sauté onion 10 minutes until translucent
3. Add garlic and continue sautéing for another few minutes
4. Add ground beef and brown until almost cooked through, about 10 minutes (drain if you prefer, but I typically do not)
5. Add the tomatoes, jalapeno, lime juice, coriander, cumin, salt, paprika and combine well
6. Add the peppers and carrots and simmer 20-30 minutes, adding a little additional tomato if needed
7. Ladle into bowls, add shredded cheese and cover with more chili to cover & melt
8. Top with a little avocado and serve with lime wedges
This recipe is also great served with Paleo Tortilla Chips!
WAY WAY WAY too much coconut oil in this especially when you consider that most people aren’t buying 96/4 beef. I don’t care if its grass fed or not. 1TB of coconut or olive oil is plenty to saute 3 pounds of beef properly. Hell if you’re buying 80/20 or 90/10 you don’t need ANY added fat.
For some reason, it appears that the beef broth is excluded from the directions.